VIDYA is a grass-root non-profit organization offering quality education and empowerment opportunities to lesser privileged children, youth and women. VIDYA believes that education leads to empowerment and transformation, both for individuals and communities. The story of VIDYA goes back to 1985, when Rashmi Misra saw five young girls playing in the drain along the edge of IIT campus, Delhi. The girls had little access to education. She opened her home to them her and that made all the difference. Since then over the past 30 years, VIDYA has touched the lives of 220,000 lesser privileged children, youth and women in Delhi, Gurgaon, Mumbai, Bengaluru and Pune.
VIDYA’s holistic education programs provide opportunities for children and youth and women to become productive and socially responsible citizens. VIDYA also conducts basic literacy programs and awareness sessions pertaining to community issues.
Education for children in VIDYA schools and in the extended hours Beyond School Program rest on three pillars: Educational Enrichment, with an emphasis on academic assistance, reading with comprehension, English, applied Science and Math; Life Skills with its focus on gender, diversity, environment and safety; Computer Literacy as an applied form of learning. That children learn in more ways than one is an integral part of every VIDYA teacher’s orientation. The use of Arts, experiential learning opportunities like excursions, meaningful learning experiences as in the use of stories and books for the Reading Program, events such as the Lit Fest, Science Fair that encourage participation at every level are integral to the program. There are new beginnings each day as VIDYA continues to bring about social change through education.
• VIDYA is a grass-roots organization with more than decades of experience in education and empowering the lesser-privileged urban communities across 3 cities.
• VIDYA has been running education programs in communities as well as in school for last 15 years in Mumbai, thus building a vast knowledge base of methodology and curriculum.
• VIDYA is certified by Credibility Alliance and also by GiveIndia, UnitedWay and Charities Aid Foundation.
• VIDYA is poised for growth into more schools and communities and also looking at entering partnerships to expand its outreach.
• The impact of VIDYA’s programs is seen not only in the success of its students and alumni, but also in the community led transformation it brings about.
• VIDYA has eminent partners like Rotary Club of Bombay, NIIT Foundation, Magic Bus enabling us to further enrich the quality of our intervention
Job Description :
Job Title : English Teacher
Location : Powai, Mumbai
Employment Type : Permanent
Reporting to : Centre Manager
VIDYA is a non-profit NGO that works towards educating and empowering less-privileged children, youth and women through working with them at an individual level. Over the last thirty years it has reached close to 2,75,000 beneficiaries spread across Mumbai, Gurgaon and Bangalore.
Currently we are looking to hire English Teachers at our Mumbai (Powai) centers:
Primary Grade 1 -Grade 7 ;
No of vacancies for English Teacher Primary section -3
; 1 in Surya nagar in Vikhroli;
1 in Tilak nagar in Sakinaka ;
1 in Milind Nagar near Powai
Secondary section - Grade 8- Grade 10th for
No. of vacancies for English Teacher - 1 ;
Location - 1 in Milind Nagar near Powai
To undertake teaching responsibilities at a VIDYA education program for the students
• Identifying clear teaching objectives and specifying how they will be taught and assessed
• Preparing lesson plans and study material
• Setting tasks which challenge students and ensure high levels of interest
• Providing clear structure for lessons maintaining pace, motivation and challenge;
• Making effective use of assessment and ensure every beneficiary is tracked and benefited
• Ensuring effective teaching and best use of available time
• Maintaining discipline, encouraging good practice with regard to punctuality, behavior, standards of work
• Participation in events, field trips, visits as per the role assigned by supervisor
• Liaise with the center manager to ensure the implementation of program goals
• Observe students' performance and overall well-being, and record relevant data to assess progress, whereby closely knowing the beneficiary
• Organize and label materials, and display students’ work
• Participate in teacher - parents meetings regarding students’ progress or problems
• Plan, prepare, and develop various teaching aids such as charts, and graphs as and when required
• Take class attendance, and maintain attendance records.
• Attend staff meetings, program review, teacher training as required by organization
• Contribute to upkeep of centre assets
• Home visits for tracking as and when required
• Special inputs to slow learners and scholarship children where required
• Escorting students as and when required for visits to other centres, donor sites, field trips, events etc.
Skills & Qualifications:
• Degree in Bachelor of Education
• (0-1) year of experience in related field
• Fluency in written + spoken Marathi and English
Core Competencies :
• Passion of working for the society
• Strong communication skills and highly self-initiative
• Excellent planning and organization skills
• Efficiency and result driven• Highly motived and committed
• Great team-player
• High level of imagination and resourceful
Candidates staying in only in MUMBAI preferably staying near Powai are requested to apply.
Who can apply :
All the candidates who are residing in Mumbai and willing to teach English in NGO based in Powai are eligible to apply.